Thursday, September 10, 2009

My grandson Samuel is in the hospital

Samuel Ivan Birch is in the hospital. On Tuesday at 4:45pm I got a text from Amber saying they were checking Sam into the hospital because he is not gaining weight. She asked me to go to their house and help Great Grandma Van Sickle to care for William. By 8:33pm that evening they had diagnosed Sam with hyperthyroid. Amber has hyperthyroid and was taking a medicine during pregnancy. Sam will have to take the drug now and slowly go off it in the next 12 weeks. He has a fast heartbeat and high blood pressure, so he has to take a medicine for that. He heart is also enlarged and he has a heart murmer. They think this is all a result of the hyperthroid problem, so it should clear up.

So Tuesday night I slept an hour and a half and went to work from Amber's house. She lives closer to the Post Office, so that was nice. I worked 10 hours, and then I had my first chiropractor appointment. I didn't get back to Amber's house until almost 12:30pm. I slept for 3 and a half hours and then went to my union meeting, and then right back to Amber's house. Sweet little William, who weighs a pound more since birth, fell asleep on my chest while I was lying on the couch about 9pm. Amber came home at 10:45pm, but I just let Will sleep, he was sleeping so good. He didn't wake up until 3am. I changed him, or tried to, he wet on 2 diapers, his blanket, his clothes, and woke up Amber so I let her take over. So I left, picked up hamburgers for my co-workers, and went shopping at Wal Mart. I got home at 5am this morning.

But, back to the babies; They tested William on Wednesday for hyperthyroid, but he doesn't have it and is doing fine. Sam has already inproved and has gained an ounce. They say he will be in the hospital about 2 more days. Shaun had vacation scheduled this week, and it's a good thing, a parent has to stay with Sam in the hospital.

No comments: